Most home owners have garage door openers in place and, if they do not, they most likely plan to have one installed in the immediate future. These are handy little devices which also lend security to your home for your family. Garage door openers provide protection from the weather as well as deny criminals easy access to your home and property.
There are several things that home owners should consider before committing to any purchase decision. It is better to create a budget to determine the amount of funds available for this purchase. This will help with deciding which features to get. After the budget the wisest step to take is to at least consult a professional about the available options.
Garage Door Opener Drive Options
There are many different elements to consider when shopping for garage door openers. One is to determine which type of drive best suits the home. There are three basic types of garage door opener drives.
- The oldest type of garage door opener drive is known as a chain drive. The garage door is raised and lowered by a metal chain. These are generally the most economical and chain drives are extremely durable eliminating the need to replace parts as often. They do make more noise than other styles.
- A screw drive consists of a threaded steel rod and a lifting mechanism. This mechanism moves along the rod to operate the door. These types of drives do not require as much maintenance as other types as they have the least amount of moving parts. Screw drives are also extremely quite during operation.
- Rubber belts are used to raise and lower the garage door with a belt drive system. Since this does not require metal this type creates less noise than any of the other options. A belt drive is capable of operating the heaviest of garage doors.
Basic two-car garage doors require a ½ horsepower. Small motors are just fine for lighter garage doors. Extremely heavy garage doors require a motor of ¾ horsepower. The prices between these motors is not that great so it is always best to opt for more power. This is another area that a professional contractor is helpful in.
- Back-up batteries are not standard with all garage door openers so it is important to consider choosing one that has this failsafe.
- A reversing safety feature consists of a detection light and when the bean is interrupted by any object in the path of the door it automatically reverses it action. This is essential to the safety of loved ones and pets.
- Many garage door openers have a security feature known as a rolling code. This provides added protection as it changes the openers code each time it is activated preventing criminals from gaining access to the home.
- Keyless entries are also available for certain garage door openers. The code is entered on a key pad eliminating the need for a key, if home owners are locked out. Some high tech models require a fingerprint to allow access.
- There are different remote controls available as well. Some only open one door while others can operate up to four.
It is always a good idea to seek a professional contractor in all garage door matters, if owners are not familiar with them. Even those who are perfectly capable of installing theirs themselves consult tech for purchase advice. These individuals are educated and experienced in the important details of choosing and installing garage doors and openers.